Vietnam has so much to offer that a trip is usually not enough to enjoy the full range. After all, heavenly beaches, miles of rice terraces, floating markets and much more await you here that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. We have collected a few tips on what you should definitely do in Vietnam. Your vacation will be an unforgettable adventure!
Activities in Vietnam – let’s go in the capital!
Many travelers start their tour in Hanoi, the country’s capital. This is the ideal place to soak up the hustle and bustle, but also the beauty and culture of Vietnam. Stroll through street food markets, visit breathtaking sights and get to know the authentic Vietnamese life!
What to do in Vietnam’s capitol:
- Visit the night market on weekends
- Admire the legendary water puppet show
- Visit attractions such as the Literature Temple, the Tran Quoc Pagoda and the Military History Museum
- Take an Asian cooking class
Thinking about what you can do in Vietnam? Welcome to one of the most beautiful places on our planet
If you are wondering what to do in Vietnam, you must see this place. No less famous than Hanoi is the UNESCO World Heritage Site called Halong Bay. Here you can enjoy a unique backdrop: small kitschy fishing villages alternate with majestic karst rocks, white sandy beaches and emerald green water. Visit, for example, a floating village, hike in the national park or take a multi–day junk tour. Just a few more activities in Vietnam’s probably most beautiful area are:
- Exploration of the karst caves
- Relax on Ban Cha beach
- Kayak tours
A king named Mekong
If you ask locals what there is to do in Vietnam, they often refer to the Mekong Delta. This area is located south of Saigon and is home to a labyrinth of various canals and tributaries of the mighty river. Immerse yourself in the fabulously green nature with well-preserved ruins and experience how “wild” Vietnam is today.
- A boat tour on the side arms of the majestic river
- Visit the legendary Vinh Trang temple
- Shopping in the floating market called Cai Rang
- A bike tour through the tropics
Go back in time in Vietnam
Sapa in Northern Vietnam is a testament to the diversity of the country. The surrounding fascinating mountain landscape is ideal for long hikes and exploring quaint villages that are home to ethnic minorities.
Tip: How about an authentic overnight stay in a homestay?
Romance in Hoi An
If you are wondering what to do in Vietnam, you cannot avoid the old town of Hoi An. This is under the cultural protection of UNESCO and is one of the top highlights in the country. The idyllic streets of the city are framed by Chinese and Japanese buildings – there is hardly a more romantic setting for a long walk. And after this or after a city tour you can, among other things, do the following things:
- Eat in one of the excellent restaurants on the wonderful beach
- Visit night markets
- Continue to Hue (via the famous cloud pass)
What to do in Vietnam on your holiday? You must have seen this city!
Ho Chi Minh City is Vietnam’s largest and most populous city. The metropolis, also known as Saigon, is full of surprises, which is why it should not be missing when it comes to activities in Vietnam. In addition to the famous Ben Thanh market, you will find the Cu Chi tunnels from the Vietnam War, the Vietnamese Notre-Dame Basilica and many other highlights.
How about a tour to the Thien Hau Pagoda and the Ngoc Hoang Pagoda, for example? Ho Chi Minh City is also the ideal starting point for a day trip to the Mekong Delta.
A land of unlimited possibilities
In addition to these specific activities in Vietnam, we would like to give you a few more ideas for your dream vacation. Here you can find out what to do in Vietnam:
- Not only hikers will be thrilled by a multi-day trek through the rainforest.
- Narrow, winding roads along the coast, up into the mountains – Vietnam is not only ideal for cycling, but is also a Mecca for motorcycle lovers. Ha Giang Province is a kind of insider tip in this context.
- Whether swimming, diving, snorkeling or surfing – water sports enthusiasts get their money’s worth in the land of smiles. However, please note that the diving and surfing school you trust should be licensed!
As you can see, there are a lot of things to do and experience in Vietnam. Our list of course does not claim to be complete. Rather, our suggestions are to be understood as inspiration for an unforgettable vacation. We wish you wonderful holidays!